Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Where have you been all my life?

This is the question I ask my three-year-old all the time. He usually answers with the most logical - I was at school today.

I was across town the other day and in a store that I hadn't been in since before I was married. I saw something that I knew Jake would love and I asked myself, Where was Jake the last time I was here? He would have loved this. Why didn't I bring him with me last time? Then, as always, it hits me that he has only been here three years. Yet still as I type this, I cannot wrap my head around the fact that he hasn't been around all my life because I swear I have known him this whole time.

So, tonight I ask him the same rhetorical question - Where have you been all my life? and he answers with an exasperated sigh,

Mommy...I was in your tummy waiting for you to pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment