I'm seeing this new therapist. She was a recommendation from my medical doctor. It appears as if they are colleagues, maybe even friends. I like that idea. I wonder if they lunch together? It makes me feel like I have a team of medical professionals looking out for me.
As I was giving her some background history of my life, her eyes would get big and she became more intrigued. To me, its just my life and I feel silly and kind of selfish talking as if it were hard. Compared to many it wasn't hard at all, just different. Case in point -
Therapist: How did your father contract HIV?
Me: We think he was spending time with an intravenous drug user.
Therapist: Did he have a relationship with her?
Me: No, we think he might have experienced a little with IV drug use.
Therapist: But he wasn't having a relationship with her?
Me: We don't think so because she was his ex-girlfriend's sister.
Therapist: Girlfriend? He had a girlfriend? How did he meet her?
Me: She was my babysitter.
Therapist: But he was still with your mom?
Me: Right.
When I write this down it sounds kind of gnarly, but it was our life and I didn't know any different. I was always told, "It could be worse," so I kind of went with that and never took on a "woe is me" attitude. Shit happens, move on, get over it...but I find that these kinds of things create lots of deep-rooted issues for some of us. Scary issues. Issues we didn't even know were there until we find ourselves in new and different situations.
I love connecting the dots. It's fascinating.
I'm sorry if I made it difficult for you growing up. I would give anything to have made it as normal as possible. I wanted nothing more for you and your sister.
ReplyDeleteLove
Mom