
These little gems conspire with three-year-olds to cause distraction to the adults around them –
The kernel: Hey, you…hellooo little man! Pick me up, pick me up.
Three-year-old: Are you a rock? You don't look like a rock.
The kernel: Noooo…I’m not a rock, silly boy. I’m a popcorn kernel. I turn into popcorn.
Three-year-old: You sure are little.
The kernel: Yes, real little. Hey, you know what? I would fit great in your ear. Let’s try. It’ll be fun!
Yesterday we made a trip to the ER because the three-year-old stuck the popcorn kernel in his ear and nobody could get it out. However, I learned something new - It turns out popcorn kernels have an air bubble, which is why it pops because the air expands when heat is applied and if water is used the kernel will float.
So, the nurse irrigated his ear and the kernel practically floated out. After she got it out, she told me that she had asked the doctor if she could “try” this technique because she had read it or seen it somewhere, so he let her. I’m glad she told me AFTER she got it out because had she told me she asked the doctor if she could “try” to get it out because she had seen something on TV or whatever I would have said, “Uh-no, get the doctor.”
Turns out it worked and she was quite proud of herself as was I. The three-year-old liked the day of events so much that he said, “Next time I’m going find a popcorn and put it in my ear again.” This comment was met with a very serious discussion and talk of the possibility of a shot next time to which he then agreed to never do it again.
These events were perfect for PROMPTuesday. That's two in a row!
No way on the kernel thing!
ReplyDeleteThis is good to know, good to know indeed.
I almost had an ear kernel incident with Booger's playmate yesterday.