Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tough

The past week and a half has been tough...tough...it's all relative right? How about this - it has been very, very trying to which does not help my neuroses!

It started the weekend before last when the little guy started to pee almost every half hour. I thought- probably a urinary tract infection so we'll go to the doctor, get some antibiotics, and were done, right? Wrong. He doesn't have a urinary tract infection. Just in case you didn't know - urinary tract infections are very unusual for boys.

Monday comes and off to the doctor we go. We are given a round of questions - Does he get up in the middle of the night? Is he having accidents? Does he break when he is engrossed in something fun? No. No. No - well maybe. We are instructed to keep a diary and come back in 72 hours.

Thursday we are back at the doctor's office and the doctor doesn't like the context of the diary or the urine dipstick test, which means the next step is to give blood Friday morning. Can you say FUN? He actually did better than expected. I think because he had forgotten the last time when Jeff had to bear hug him and I had to hold his arm down. The nurse mentioned if children cannot be still enough the other option is a sedative - Please God let him forget this blood test trip before we have to go back again. I haven't heard from the doctor about the blood results so I'm thinking no news is good news. We go back this Thursday for a followup.

To add insult to injury I think all those trips to the doctor's office, touching things, and being in a waiting room with other sick people was not a good thing because we are both sick AGAIN.

This will be the second time in the last 45 days that I have been sick, which does not bode well for my neuroses. Needless to say all the tidbits above have kicked off "what if" thinking into warp speed...this is not good people - How long do you have a sore throat before it becomes throat cancer? - Okay, so I won't go into a tirade of all my "what ifs" I'll just let your imagination do the walking or running.

Do you see how it's been tough trying?

2 comments:

  1. "OYE"

    both of you are fine.

    CAY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry. That does sound realllly un-fun.

    Several of my friend's sons of recently begun peeing all the time as well (they're both 5) and even pooping on occassion, and it really boiled down to: they didn't want to stop playing. Hopefully it will be something as simple for you. Because... wouldn't that be a funny story for later on?

    Take good care of yo'self.

    ReplyDelete