Saturday, March 6, 2010

Signs

I lost my dad quite some time ago, actually this past January marked 15 years. I'm always wanting a sign from him to make me feel like he's watching over me.

I knew as Jake got older he would start to ask questions about my dad. He would begin to want to put the pieces together - you know - Where's your daddy? How did he die? What does dead mean? - All questions a child is naturally going to ask as it relates to someone that would have been his grandpa.

Today the conversation went like this -

Jake: Are you daddy's hunny?

Me: Yes

Jake: Is daddy your hunny?

Me: Yes

Jake: Grams has two hunnys.

Me: (perplexed) She does?

Jake: Yes, Jim and grandpa.

Me: (completely caught off guard) Ohh... yes... well I guess you're right. She does have two hunnys, but grandpa is not here so Jim is her hunny.

Jake: Where is grandpa?

Me: (deep breath, eyes welling up) Ohhh... he's up in heaven with God.

Jake: Who's God?

Me: (bigger deep breath, tears almost spilling over, the words are echoing through the interior of the car) God watches over all of us... EVERYBODY...ALL OVER (opening my arms wide).

Jake: (excited) He watches me too?

Me: Yes, yes he does! He watches you too!

I am just approaching the left hand turn lane and there in the distance is a huge semi-truck blocking the opposite side of the road -



I cannot believe my eyes. Tears have now spilled over. I now have to change lanes and go toward the truck so I can pull up beside it to verify the words on the side of the truck read what I believe them to -



I love you too dad.



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT.

    I always ask my mom to give me a sign from heaven. How wonderful that your wish came true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speachless.

    this was beautiful. My heart breaks for you, but then sings with happiness for little moments like this.

    ReplyDelete