Do you ever feel guilty? Guilty that you are taking time for yourself to exercise? I do. I feel guilty if hubby has to watch the little one while I exercise. I feel guilty if somebody else has to watch the little one and I leave the hubby home alone. What is that?
My latest guilt - my 12-year-old stepson's mother signed him up for a summer camp that starts at 10 a.m. and she assumed I would be home so he could walk to camp from our house. Unfortunately, I signed up for an exercise class at nine in the morning so I cannot be here to see him off. So the alternative - he stays at her house in the morning before he has to go to camp and walks from there. However, that means he is on his own for two hours and he has not been showing the best decision making lately. This makes me nervous and of course left feeling very guilty that I am in this exercise class and not there for him. I'm worried that if something happens to him then it will weigh heavily on me because I should have been there instead of this class. I'm left feeling very crappy that I'm not canceling my class so I can see him off for camp.
I have told my husband time and time again not to just assume I will take care of him because I work from home. It should be discussed with me first, which he has in turn conveyed to her. I have had to call her and explain why I cannot be shuffling him from place to place and just because I work from home does not mean I have all the free time that someone who didn’t work would have. When I don’t take over the shuffling and supervision of him, his mother is left piecing it together for different people to pick him up and drop him off places and this leaves me feeling very guilty.
BREATHE.
Oh, girl. I feel for you.
ReplyDeleteI wrestle with these same feelings of guilt, no matter how unwarranted.
I like that you can be open with your hubby and that he advocates for you. It still sucks to be in that position though.
It seems that a woman is most likely to be the best spouse, best mother, best friend, and best woman she can be when she has taken care of herself first. We have to be healthy and whole and happy to be able to pour into others. You didn't ask for advice, but those are my thoughts. :)