Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shedding a New Light

I had an interesting conversation the other night with one of my many sister-in-laws. She is a runner. She is a teeny, tiny, lean little thing. She's a pinch over 100 pounds (can you hear my eyes rolling). She is training for a half marathon and just the other day she ran 11 miles. Her pace is about 8 minutes a mile. Before she did that 11-mile run she was telling me how much she was dreading having to get out there and do it. She told me how she was irritated that she still had to get in her run after a long day with 2 kids and work and she DID NOT WANT TO DO IT. For some reason I was kind of taken aback because I have always had this image and thought that people who run like that really, really love running. Almost like, no matter what the time or where they are they just can't wait to get out there and run because they love it so much.

Umm... NO! NO! NO!

It was really enlightening to hear that from her and it helped me tremendously! Because I have found that people don't want you to see or know their weakness so they make it sound like what they're doing, everything from running or running a household, that it's a cake walk leaving you to wonder why it can be so difficult, and for me, making me think that maybe this isn't for me.

I feel like another door opened the other night. Whether it was our relationship or to stick with the running, I'm not sure, either way it helped me A LOT!!

1 comment:

  1. I do not look forward to many of my runs or workouts, but almost always feel better afterward. I try not to glorify it to anyone. It is like most any rewarding activity - it is difficult, but totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete