Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Technology

I love technology.
I hate technology.
I love technology.
I hate technology.

Do you ever find yourself feeling this way? I felt this way yesterday.

A couple of days ago I finally got around to picking up my MP3 player to do some treadmill work and found that the battery was dead, completely dead. You know it's been too long since you've exercised when...

So I charge the player overnight and the next day I proceed to download some new inspirational music. No can do -

"Please contact our customer service at blah... blah... blah.."

I called, pushed a few buttons, and I was done. That was it. Whew!

I then proceed to download the music onto the afore mentioned MP3 player when my computer tells me that the device is not being recognized by my computer - UGH! I log onto the manufacturing website, download the manual, check the FAQs, go through all the steps given - still nothing. I'm left to call customer service. My second customer service call because I want to download songs to this apparatus. Don't you love technology? At this point I miss the days of going to the store, picking up a cassette, and popping it into a Walkman. I call customer service:

Customer service rep: Howdy! Thank you for calling Philips customer service line. What can I help you with today?

Me: My MP3 player is not being recognized by my PC.

Customer service rep: Did you try hitting the reset button?

Me: Yes.

Customer service rep: Hmmm...Did you try using the repair button.

Me: Yes.

Customer service rep: *tap...tap...tap* Well, I just don't know ma'am. That's what it tells us to do on this here computer and you did all that so I don't know what else I can help ya with today. Can I put you on hold one minute?

Me: (Hopeful that maybe he is going to find an answer) Sure.

Customer service rep: Ma'am?

Me: Yes

Customer service rep: Yup - I don't know what else I can help ya with. Do you have a warranty?

Me: No warranty (What ELSE you can help me with? What exactly did you help me with in the first place?)

Customer service rep: You should really think about that next time.

Me: You're right. Next time I'll think about it. Thanks for your help (as politely as I could possibly muster)

Customer service rep: Okie dokie. Anything else I can help you with today?

Me: (Just get me off this phone) No thank you.

Customer service rep: Well, thanks for calling Philips. You have a great day, ya hear?

Me: Grrrr...

An hour and a half later and all that for nothing because then I realized I plugged it in backwards.

I love technology.

1 comment:

  1. OK, that made me laugh. "What ELSE you can help me with? What exactly did you help me with in the first place?"

    A phone company would always answer "How can I provide you with excellent customer service today?" On the fourth call over a couple of days, I answered, "you can't."

    ReplyDelete