Time Warner Cable = Time Suck.
Need I say more?
We are now the proud owners of our very first flat screen television. We were lucky enough to have it gifted to us from a client that my husband has been doing A LOT of work with. The new TV requires the HD set-up, which means we have one of those fancy cable packages with a lot more channels than I have ever had in my entire life, combined. It's quite the change because just two months ago if we wanted to record something we were still using a video tape. Now, I flip through the channels and if there is something I want to watch it's just a quick push of a little red button and I can watch it later.
This is no bueno for me...
or the blog.
PS Do you know why kids watch so much television these days? Because there is something for them to watch twenty-four-seven! Those poor young-ins, they're like Raggedy-Ann dolls, mystified by the almighty TV and it doesn't help if the mommy falls prey to it's powers as well. When I was little the only time I watched TV was Saturday mornings (I'm sure I just aged myself with that sentence). We had 7 channels to choose from - 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 - that's it.
This is probably why I was outside playing until the street lights came on.
We cancelled our cable, bought a Roku box and signed up for HULU Plus. It's great. It acts like a DVR but only records NEW episodes so you don't waste time watching reruns. That and a two disk Netflix account gets us by. We are watching much less TV but not missing it.
ReplyDeleteI advocated for no cable. Although I would miss it, I know how much can get done without it and would be more than willing to get rid of it.
DeleteUnfortunately, the hubs would be a very grumpy camper without ESPN. It is at these junctures when I chant quietly in my head *...focus on his strengths... focus on his strengths...*
Yeah, it's a real time suck indeed. I would love to lesson the amount of TV we watch, but alas, I am way outvoted. And I can't lie. I enjoy it too. But I hate how much I enjoy it, and I hate that it can take the place of other stuff. I feel like a lot of shows serve a cool purpose, especially if you watch them with people or connect with other people about them. You know? But then there are shows that just waste time and leave you feeling dumber. You'll figure out which ones do which soon enough.
ReplyDeleteA flat screen! Wooboy! Our TV is SO OLD. Ha!
I hear you. My problem is the reality shows. I know a lot of them are not "reality" as they say, but just to see their lifestyle or in the inside of their homes, it's fascinating to me that people actually live like that.
DeleteOh man! If you think cable is a time-suck, you should never, EVER, EVER get a Twitter account. It makes hours disappear like black magic. :)
ReplyDeleteI am working hard to avoid it, but I feel it creeping up on me. Then I could follow you :)
Delete"Outside playing until the street lights came on."
ReplyDeleteI remember that. Sigh.