I'm buggin. Enough Obama! I feel like there is something wrong with me because I'm not drenched in tears of joy because we made history. I'm not feeling it. Okay, yes I got emotional when he gave his acceptance speech because it was a pretty grand moment and there has been a huge shift in our country and that is awesome, but I'm not overwhelmed, oddly for me. This greatness that everyone else is feeling, I'm not. All the Barack Obama rhetoric...He's so great...Isn't it wonderful we are able to elect an African-American...I can't stop crying because the world is changing...really? While listening to all the rhetoric something occurred to me, which made me a bit nervous. Shouldn't we be focusing on the fact that he is highly intelligent, has good ideas, and there is great potential? Does anyone else feel like the American people lost the objective of the presidential election? Isn't the objective to elect someone who can improve the country and make it better? Why isn't anyone talking about his ability to do that? Why is everyone talking about him being an African-American? Is anyone worried that people voted for him just because he is African-American? Has that crossed anyone's mind? Am I all alone?
Yes, I get it; I really, really get it. Like I said, I was emotional watching him give that acceptance speech. It is amazing that this country has come this far and I am proud that the American people are able to overcome and elect an African-American. Good for us and good for him! It's about stinkin time! However, I just can't help but think that he was elected for something other than his ability. Even Oprah was quoted as saying, "It's my town. My town's been vibrating all day..."[then Gail tells her to tell a story about how she voted and she says.] "I was voting across from a drug rehab center. And there were some ladies in there that I was like, 'Well, how long have you all been detoxed?' And they said, 'Just last week,' and I said, 'Okay, that's good. That's sober enough.'...And I thought, 'We will even take the drug addicts' vote.'" Really Oprah? You thought - "We will even take the drug addicts' vote." Really? These women who have been out of touch from the world, for God knows how long, because they have been doped up on drugs are truly clear enough, have read and watched, and have the information to choose who would be a better president? Really? Honestly? In addition, this candidate was the first Oprah endorsed and the first time she engaged in the political agenda. Co-wink-a-dink? Don't think so. I have heard statistics that there were 14 million more voters from the last election. How many of those 14 million voters walked in and punched the hole simply because of the color of his skin? I am a big believer in fair and I'm not sure this was all that fair. Just as it wasn't fair years and years ago when people were treated differently because of the color of skin. It was wrong and not fair.
For the record - any person out there that wants to twist this into something else... that's just plain ignorance. Once again, I must repeat myself and say - I like him. I like his ideas. He is an intelligent individual who has good ideas and it would appear that he just may be able to get the job done. I also like that he is humble and a good family man. I have faith that he will do his best to make change like he promised, but I'm not sure he'll be able to do it in one term. Then what?
So people - Lets keep our eye on the ball okay?
No comments:
Post a Comment