When did the word like invade our daily language.
"Today, I went to the mall, to like.. go shopping, and like saw some awesome shoes, but they were like, so expensive. But then like, I got a call on my cell, and like it was my friend, and she was like "Hey, whats going on?' and I was like, 'I need more money,' and she was like, 'Did you need to, like borrow some?' and I was like, so exited!"
Are the 80s to blame? – It’s like Oh My God! – Have you ever sat and listened for the word like while someone is talking? If so, be careful because you might miss what their actually talking about. Listen to our kids talk these days? Sadly, some are not kids they are young adults. They are using the word like incorrectly continually throughout conversation. They absolutely cannot say a single sentence without the insertion of at least 3 uses of the word like.
It drives me like nuts! I was going to put up a YouTube video, but I thought it would like drive you nuts!
I find it so hard to keep "like" out of conversation. I cringe when I hear it.
ReplyDeleteI've made some progress, but still got a ways to go.
Yours, like truly,
Deb
I saw some documentary addressing this specific issue, and what researchers found was that the use of "like" is age-related and decreases over time. I guess this means that if you come across a thirty year old still sounding impossibly "Val," then developmentally, they're probably still eleven.
ReplyDeleteI promise, in real life...I don't say it much. I think. In blog life, I think it's like, fucking funny!
ReplyDelete