Monday, October 12, 2009

Reece

I don't write enough about Reece. I would like to, but it can be pretty tense around here sometimes. He used to be the little guy until Jake came along, but now he is in between. Our relationship is a work-in-progress. I am hoping it will change as he gets older. I'm scared it might get harder as the testosterone kicks in, but I try to keep the communication open and honest.

He used to think I was pretty great, he was three. At around five he started to pick up on the bitterness that was in the air and at about seven he started using it to his advantage. Before anyone realized it, people got hurt. I was labeled the terrible, awful stepmother and how could she...blah...blah...blah...It is extremely unfortunate because since then that bitterness has dissipated, the smoke cleared, and it came out that "Oh... maybe she was right", but the scarring doesn't go away. Thankfully, the other household finally got on board with this household's objective. Thank GOD!

He'll be 12 in January. He is actually a pretty innocent 12-year-old and with that comes a bit of immaturity, but I'll take that in a heartbeat. He is starting to get a touch of acne on his pure, little, olive-skinned nose. He wears deodorant and is concerned about his tummy being too flabby - there is nothing flabby about him. He is extremely bright - extremely. I can tell if he puts his mind to something he can accomplish pretty much anything. I hope he realizes this sooner than later.

We are entering the beginning of the end of his innocence. I can see it clear as day. It is scary.

For him too I think...

2 comments:

  1. Oh my . . . and you start to think, "What was I doing at 12?"

    Just remember, we survived mostly intact - so will he! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a REAL naughty one at 12, so I can only imagine...

    I love reading your thoughts. Thanks for your transparencey.

    ReplyDelete