Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I am from...

It's time for PROMPTuesday over at Sandiegomomma - Did I mention already how much I like her? Here is the prompt -

This week, tell us who you are, what’s inside, where you’re from. Share your memory fragments, those visions in your head, those figments that make you, you. What bits and pieces formed your whole? Are you whole? Tell us.

The original meme asked for the basic “I am from” format below, so let’s keep it like that.


I am from...

I am from hippy parents.

I am from parents who tried something different for me.

I am from private school and uniforms.

I am from playing outside until the streetlights came on.

I am from The Brady Bunch and Charlie’s Angels.

I am from Saturday morning cartoons - Schoolhouse Rock, Bugs Bunny, Foghorn Leghorn, Super Friends (“Wonder Twin powers activate – shape of a…”), Sid and Marty Kroft - Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, Land of the Lost, H.R. Pufnstuf, etc. Love it – can you tell?

I am from being made to believe I was a princess.

I am from realizing I am not.

I am from leaving private school mid-semester because dad couldn’t pay the tuition.

I am from a big dose of reality at fifteen.

I am from moving on and taking care of myself by 18.

I am from made to feel I was worthless to realizing I’m pretty great (some may not agree and that’s okay too).

I am from dealing with the “battle of the bulge”…all the live long day.

I am from losing a parent while still young and not expecting it.

I am from learning from what I’ve been through and careful to try and not make the same mistakes.

I am from finding true love and marrying him.

I am from becoming a stepmother.

I am from a relatively simple life and enjoying it.

I am from recognizing most of us are similar in many ways, we just don’t share enough.

I am from the wisdom that the portraits of our lives are not perfect and they are not ugly, they’re just different colors.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this!

    I also LOVE the cartoons you mentioned -- especially H.R. Pufnstuf...

    And these prompts always make me want to know more about the person who wrote them. I hope you know you've got blog gold within this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job with this. Each line, a tiny essence; a story within a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea ....

    I am from overcoming obstacles through perseverance and hard work

    I am from battling the voices in my head that inhibit my creativity

    I am from embracing the unpredictability of life through yoga, meditation and prayer

    I am from appreciating nature through hiking

    I am from realizing that what makes me different connects me with people who are similar

    I am from good times and good friends

    I am from dancing while cleaning

    I am from chick flicks and melodramas

    ReplyDelete