Cubby was the most dog-like cat you would have ever met. One time she ate an onion off a piece of pizza. Whenever dinner was cooking she was in the kitchen looking for scraps. If you called her she would come running to you, anywhere in the house. She was solid gray, but she had the coolest glistening shade of silver on her snout and the contrast against the solid black of her nose was really cool. She was also the friendliest, easiest, and bravest cat I have ever met. Maybe because she was littlest of the bunch and had to be scrappy. Although strangely enough when Duke came along about two years ago, Cubby had the hardest time adapting. She hid out for about two months and wanted absolutely nothing to do with him. The few times they did run into each other during those few months she would howl and hiss almost to a spit. It was shocking because we thought she would take to him right away. When she finally got over it and learned to accept him they were total buddies, totally. He would try to play with her, but because he was pretty much ten times bigger than she was he always was too rough and she would have to whack him a couple times in the face. Mostly though, she would rub up against him so he could nudge her with his snout, back and forth, back and forth. She couldn't get enough of him.
My nerves are now officially fried.
Angela, I am so sorry to hear the news. Boy, what a year you have had. We lost our black cat, Dezi, last spring and just the other day I was sitting in the living room with a black shirt in my lap and the wife did a double take - she thought Dezi was back, in her usual place (my lap).
ReplyDeleteWe certainly do love our fur-people!
I'm sorry.
ReplyDeleteI love the picture and just caught a glimpse of the cat you loved so.
I'm sorry.
I'm sorry to hear about your cats, too. Geesh, you've been through the ringer.
ReplyDeleteIf you ever decide on more cats, might I suggest looking into Main Coons? They are very similar to what you describe... dog like almost. I have to. They come when called, they fetch things, the respond to words, "food", "toy", "spider"... and they are very loving, happy cats.
I wish you well on your continued journey.