So he says...
Okay maybe a pinch. I'm on to the next book - The Valley of Horses - and I can't put it down. Clan of the Cave Bear sat on my nightstand for quite some time. It's a hard book to get through and I had yet to get to the part when the story picks up. I took it with me when we went on vacation approximately two weeks ago and I flew through it. Now, I'm on the second book. I wrote about The Valley of Horses once before and now that I look at that post describing the book I must say it's a bit...let's just say I don't get off on guys taking care of their own business. Looking back that was definitely not the greatest passage to get my point across. Live and learn.
The Earth's Children series carries all sorts of facets. There is, of course, the love story of Jondalar and Ayla, which is really rather sweet and very sensual. Then there is the anthropological setting. Throughout the series it describes and at times goes into full detail (which can be hard to get through sometimes) on how we as people once lived off the land as hunters and gatherers. How we used an entire animal and all it's parts for things like water bags, spears, parkas, etc. It's fascinating to me and makes me wonder how that would have been to live like that. I think I would have done well. I like the simplicity of it. However, the best part of the series, for me, is the spiritual aspect. It speaks to me. I am a big believer in things happening for a reason. More times than I can remember, after a particularly difficult situation or time, an answer to that time comes to me and the answer usually puts me at ease as to why I had to endure that angst. For some things it has taken a couple of years, but more often than not I'm dumbfounded when I realize that had that not happened then things might be harder. It's like a path being carved out and allows me to find peace and believe that I am right where I need to be.
You must learn to understand with your heart and mind, not your eyes and ears.
Pillars of the Earth should definitely be on your reading list - life of a mason in midevil England building a cathedral.
ReplyDeleteMassive. But good.