Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Sister

I have one sister and she and I are completely opposite. There are 12 years between us, which makes it very hard to find things in common. In addition, she is gay. Not the girly side of gay, but the rougher side, which makes it even more difficult to find things in common because shopping or makeup is the last thing she wants to do. It's probably better for me that she is not feminine because she is absolutely stunning. She has perfect eyebrows that don't need any touch up, a beautiful set of blue-grey eyes, a great smile, and great hair. With that mix and a bit of femininity and she would knock anyone’s socks off. I would probably be green with envy. I know that's awful, but probably true. The best thing about her is that she is one of the most gentle people you could meet.

Because I was so much older than her we didn't really have your typical sister relationship. I was more of...well...I can't say motherly figure because I was no where nearly as involved with her as I am my own child. By the time she was six, I was out of the house and on my own. However, she would come to me if there was a problem or she needed help. Looking back, I wish I could have been there for her much more. She was just a baby and now that I'm older I realize just how much she could have used my guidance. Then again, I didn't even know where I was going so how was I supposed to direct her. I do know that just as I am a better daughter after having my son, I am a better sister. To see her with my son and the innate love she has for him, just because he is MY son, is so warming to my heart. It makes me emotional just typing that. It is astounding the different perspective you get when you have a child and even though I shake my head in disbelief, I can't deny it because I'm living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment