Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I don't like you

I heard these words from the little guy for the first time. It was yucky. I'm trying to find comfort in the fact that he didn't say, "I hate you" but still. Thankfully, he doesn't even know the word hate.

He started swim lessons Monday, well HE didn't, but class began Monday. He was excited about swimming lessons. I had been telling him about it and preparing him. He has had swimming lessons before. I told him I would be picking him up early from school. He talked about it to everyone at school. His teacher told me he kept telling her about swimming lessons.

We get to the pool and it all comes to a ...scccrreeeeeeeching halt! Nothing. He would not take off his shoes. He would not get into his swim trunks. He became incredibly defiant and refused to do anything I asked. At this point I checked him thoroughly to make sure he was mine. Now...I know that he was nervous, new kids, new pool...okay no problem...but it's $225 for swim lessons! I can't just let him sit there and watch. So, I proceed to tell him that if he didn't put on his swim trunks we would be leaving the pool and would not return that day and because I say what I mean and mean what I say, we left.

OH MY GOODNESS. So this is what a meltdown is... and what a meltdown it was. In the car he screamed... Go back...go back...Mommy... I want to go swimming...I take off my shoes... Mommmmyyy...go back...I don't yike you mommy... but home we went.

Tuesday came...piece of cake.

1 comment:

  1. This post cracked me up! (I found your blog through my sister's friend's blog...)

    My best friend's 4 year old recently said to her, "I don't like you, now I will call you POOH instead of mom!" That was a humdinger. She was very traumatized, but got over it soon enough. Kids... :)

    ReplyDelete