Sunday, January 29, 2012

Kosher

Today Jake and I had a play-date at the park.  

We met another mother there and her son who is in the same kindergarten class.  It was our first play-date with this little boy and his mom and this mom wanted to sit and chat.  These can be fun because it's like a new book.  A new story.

She told me how she went to Israel while in college and met her now husband.  She told me how she traveled Europe and her trip to Australia.  We talked about the school.  We talked about the teachers.  We talked about religion.  She turned out to be a very warm and inviting soul.  It was a great visit. 

During our discussion about religion we talked about her family being kosher.  She explained how dairy and meat cannot be mixed and so forth.  I knew a bit of this, but do not understand it in full detail and luckily she was more than willing to explain it all and I was more than willing to listen.  

I had brought some cookies for the boys and asked if they could have them.  She said yes because they were kosher and when I asked her how she knew she pointed to this little itty-bitty sign on the package - 


It's about the size of the trademark symbol.  She said if you see this little sign it means it's kosher.  When I came home I scoured my pantry, because I'm a dork like that, to find all the items with this symbol.  I love learning something new.  

Interesting huh?

Note:  I was hesitant to post about this because I was concerned I should already know this.  I went through the self-doubt of should I or shouldn't I?  However, when I asked my Jewish husband, who went to Hebrew school and celebrated his Bar mitzvah, like every other Jewish boy, and he didn't know about it I figured I was in the clear.  

  


1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of that either. Crazy. I've learned something new. :)

    ReplyDelete