[Insert sad face]
It was a very quiet birthday. Although, just like any other mother I would love to throw him a fabulous party every single year or take him to Toys R Us and buy him anything his little heart desires, but I just don't think that's what is best for him. As his mother, I am supposed to teach him to say "please" and "thank you." I'm supposed to teach him right from wrong. But I also want to teach him practicality, humility, reserve, to name a few. These days everything is in excess and we are losing sight of what truly makes our hearts happy. Don't get me wrong, I like a cruise with a veranda just like the next gal, but I understand that I don't NEED that. I want him to understand that too.
I knew it was time for this lesson when in December, before Christmas, he began telling me exactly what, where, and how he wanted his birthday party and all the people he wanted to invite. I think I remember my eyes glazing over with $$$$. I was a bit taken aback by this assumption. I explained to him that he turned 5 last year and turning 5 is a big year so that's why we had a big party, but you don't have a big party like that every year. Thankfully, he was very accepting of this concept, like it was just another fact of life. Kinda like, the sky is blue the grass is green and that's that.
One huge plus, if we had had a big chaotic party then I wouldn't have been able to get these really great intimate moments of my two favorite people -
These make my heart happy.
Nice one. I don't remember how it happened, but my Mom passed down the same sort of lessons. Sounds like you are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteI took Annie on a sushi date yesterday. They were playing songs from the early 80's and when "Boys of Summer" came on I mentioned to the waitress that the station must be called "ex girlfriends from the 80's". Of course, she was too young to get the joke. But I did spend a sushi lunch with the wee one reminiscing about the good/bad old days. So glad you are blessed and so glad we are in touch. ;-)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your little dude. xoxo
ReplyDeleteHe is a cutie! Happy birthday!
ReplyDelete