Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wicked



This is the face of anxiety and depression.  Amazing isn't it?  This is Heather Locklear.  Heather Locklear!  Beautiful.  Wealthy.  Loved.  Yet, she is riddled with anxiety, depression, and alcoholism.

Anxiety and depression is wickedly powerful.  It's silent and sneaky.  I find it fascinating.  Especially when I see the power it has on someone like Heather Locklear, who in my eyes and many others, has it all.  Thankfully, I have learned to arm myself with the knowledge of just how it works.  I have learned that talking about it with others helps.  I have learned to recognize the signs of it's arrival.  I've learned how to talk myself out of an episode.  As I have said before sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Sadly, if my devices don't work I've been known to blurt out how I'm feeling to just anyone if caught at the very right moment.  Kinda like I did to another mom last Tuesday morning when she began to vent about her blended family woes and I said, "That stuff is minimal.  Imagine if you were worried you were going to die!"  Luckily, she didn't walk run away and once I got my head together a few days later I apologized profusely.  Then I listened in earnest all about her blended family issues.  

I wonder if it's harder for the beautiful, rich, and/or famous.  They're used to getting everything they want when they want it.  They have control over a lot, but anxiety and depression are things they cannot control.  Maybe that's what makes them spin out of control.  Whatever the case with the rich and famous, my heart goes out to Ms. Locklear.  I wish I could help her.  Although, maybe it's a good thing that our kids aren't the same age or go to the same school because something tells me if she and I were dropping off our kids at the same time, or God forbid they were in the same class, there would be some sort of a restraining order in my future.


2 comments:

  1. ablescI would venture a guess that in some ways it's worse for the rich and famous. Not only are they suffering depression/anxiety but the whole world thinks they don't deserve to be depressed. As if they haven't earned the right to suffer. That can't makes things easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Matt. It is probably harder to admit anxiety or depression when everyone thinks you have it all.

    But it can hit anyone, and it isn't easy to "logic" your way out of it. Sometimes you can talk yourself down (to a point), but like you have discovered, speaking it out loud to others seems to have a greater impact.

    No one has all their sh!t together. Some are just better at hiding it. And sometimes it is the hiding that makes you miserable.

    ReplyDelete