Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My first job

Today Sandiegomomma requests in her PrompTuesday -

This week, tell us about your first job.

My First Job - McDonald's

The classic first job for a high school student in the 80s. It was typical and very boring, yet iconic and unforgettable at the same time - It was McDonald's. Let's forget the fact that I only worked there for three days. I'll never forget one of those three shifts, actually I think it was my last - I started at 7 p.m. and was there until 1 a.m. I was supposed to be off at 11 p.m. because I was a new employee. I clearly remember my parents were there with some of my friends waiting for my shift to end, they waited and waited and waited. McDonald's had me cleaning dishes, milkshake machines, french fry stations - GROSS! I remember while washing dishes the manager pointed to the floor that he wanted mopped, I told him it was one or the other and I couldn't do both at the same time. So he mopped while I continued with dishes. Although it wasn't the most pleasant experience, it taught me that this is not what I would want to be doing with my life. Thank goodness!

2 comments:

  1. I worked in a similar restaurant - not a McD's but a competitor - while in college. My best friend and I took the closing shift, because we actually liked having to clean - the ass't manager brought beer and we'd drink while cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had crushes on all guys who worked at McDonald's, go figure.

    And I never in a million years expected this week's PROMPTuesday to be so full of gross food stories! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete