Today Sandiegomomma's PrompTuesday is -
So think back to when you were 15. Let the year play itself back to you. Pick one memory — even if it’s just a mere moment that stands out — and write about it.
Ahhhh...15! If only I knew then what I know now. Some of my memories as a 15-year-old are pretty great and some not so great. The most memorable, and not so great, was going from private school to public school. This was my big dose of reality at fifteen. I'll never forget being at the private school, waiting to take my mid-semester exams, and being told I needed to go to the office. While waiting there my father showed up and shortly thereafter I was trailing after him down the hall on our way home while he cursed and yelled the halls - apparently, he hadn't paid tuition for quite some time. So, two weeks later I was in a public school in another town. I went from 300 kids to about 3000 and did not know a soul. I was lost, scared, and left wondering and worrying what would happen next. I remember eating lunch in the locker room so no one would see me eating alone (sheesh...I can't believe I just typed that). I learned quickly that I was just like everyone else. I couldn't pretend that I was one of the elite. We went from buying homes and going to private school to renting apartments and going to public school. Not that there is a thing wrong with that, which I know now, but at 15 years old it's the world.
However, when I look back now, I am glad for those times and that year. I wouldn't have two of the closest friends I have today. I wouldn't have met my first innocent love - who I might add I just found recently because I typed his name into yahoo. He is now married to a green eyed beauty and they have an amazing little girl! Hi Matt! Technology amazing, isn't it?
So, I would have to say 15 was a pretty impressionable year for me and although I didn't think it ideal at the time, today I wouldn't change it for the world!
Wow, what a story! I love it. Such experiences really shape us as adults. I love the thought of how you wouldn't have encountered your friend had this traumatic experience NOT happened to you.
ReplyDeleteVery nice writing.
I so went through the same thing. But unlike you, I didn't weather the storm and instead, I threw a fit so I could go back to my little private school.
ReplyDeleteBut g's right: those experiences shape you and now I wonder how I might have turned out differently had I stuck it out.
(Not that I regret where I am now...but you know what I mean...)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletewhoopsie - I left comment only to realize I was logged in as my wife! I tell ya, a two blogger family . . .
ReplyDeleteThat summer is one of my golden memories from childhood. Days at the pool, getting kicked out of Sizzlers, dance parties in each other's apts in the evenings.
What an age. We all thought it was so hard . . .