Today is World AIDS Day. I know this and I am acutely aware of it because AIDS touched my world in the most profound way. It took my father from me. Not only did it take his physical body, but it took his mind and soul. It took these precious gifts years before his physical body was gone. The damage he caused while his mind was twisted from dementia was horrendous. I learned a lot about my dad while he was ill and after he died. He was actually a bit of an ass to some. It was hard to learn the most awful traits about a man who I had held in such high regard for so many years. I think he is watching me and thinking, “Man – had she found this all out while I was there, she would have given me a ration of shit!” This is true. I would have been all up in his face about some of his misgivings because he taught me just the opposite of these traits. This is hypocrisy at its finest. He used to tell me I was his emotional and ethical savings account and whenever he was feeling bad about his misgivings he would call and want me to remind him of all his teachings. Ironically, one of the clinics I transcribe for is an HIV/AIDS clinic. It is informative yet sometimes sad for me. What really blows my mind is there are people that are HIV positive and knowingly having unprotected sex. Yes, it’s true. Some of them are so angry they want to take everyone else down with them. Sad and scary, but true. They know and they just don’t care and the doctors can’t do a thing about it because of privacy laws.
So friends, bloggers, lurkers…whoever…I feel it is my duty to make you acutely aware of AIDS today. Speak up if it is necessary! Your 40-year-old girlfriend is getting divorced and sleeping with new people? Speak up! Suspect your husband or wife is cheating? Speak up! Your kids are reaching puberty and you don't know how to approach the subject? Speak up! We are still learning about HIV/AIDS and although we have come a long, long way, we don’t know everything and have yet to conquer this horrible virus.
Be safe and God bless.
I had no idea that was how your father died. I am so sorry to hear it. -m
ReplyDelete